I'm running off to church in a moment.....But i thought I'd blog a few photos from my excursion to Wildwood Cemetery yesterday. I had to do a little assignment about the material culture of graveyards for my Archaeology of Us class....but of course, the camera came along!
The cemetery was different than any cemetery I've ever been to (not that i've been to that many!). It had the normal lawn with grave stones popping up but then it had this wooded area in the center which also had grave stones of varying styles. There were benches, large natural rocks with a name on them, traditional headstones, and even a bronze horse! They were all just scattered around the forest floor, nestled in as if they had always been there. I don't think that it was simply a case of the brush growing up around these stones because many of the dates were fairly new....It was obviously intentional. I found it fascinating. Grave yards always make me think of my mortality.... it's something we all have in common.
No comments:
Post a Comment